Machine Love: Laurel Halo
Male DJs tend to dominate the scene and there is no question about that. I could easily say that 80% of the working DJs at night clubs around you are men, and the other 20% of women who are DJing are hidden from view or in a place where we can’t see them. Females are even rarer to see as producers, since we never get to see a producer’s face until they have made it to a level where someone actually cares about them. What this means is that only the top producers who are performing get any of the face time with the general public, and out of those, only a handful are women. What I can say about female producers is that their studios are just as messy as their male producers.
If you check out this women’s production area, you wouldn’t be able to tell that it was owned by a woman at all. I don’t see a spot of pink or Easter Egg blue anywhere, and everything in the room speaks of “I care more about my gear than I do about my furniture.” You have the usual setup, a couple of keyboards and a couple of controllers to beat up on.