NI Traktor Kontrol S2: O Lil’ Brother, Where Art Thou?
Native Instruments recently announced that their new Kontol S4 will be in stores in October. As always, we are excited to see new products from NI considering the success of hotties like Machine and the S4. The S2 is a 2 deck Traktor controller based on the popular and ever dominating 4 deck S4 controller. Here’s the black and white:
- Integrated DJ performance system
- 2+1 Setup: two playback decks plus comprehensive mixing and effect features
- High-resolution jog wheels
- Ergonomic controls for cueing, looping, and effects
- Integrated 24-bit, 96 kHz sound card with its dual stereo outputs
- Traktor Pro 2 software adds up to 8 simultaneous one-shot samples or beat-synced loops to the mix
- Plug and play configuration
- Backlit control elements
- NHL protocol
Essentially, the S2 let’s you rock on 2 decks plus 1 sample channel with the same awesome effects, looping, and hot cues as it’s big brother S4. It happily ships with Traktor Pro 2 instead of a teaser version. This is priced beautifully at $699 MSRP and we foresee a street price of around $600. To be certain the S2 will be hot and will do well right in time for the holidays. It’s compact size screams out to all of the perspective and up and coming DJs all over the world. S4 users might try and hate a little bit because of the lack of DVS/audio inputs, and the missing filter knobs, but let’s just face it. I see most S4 users using only 2 decks and very rarely integrating turntables for DVS usage. Native Instruments is certainly doing right by all of us by providing another excellent controller option for use with arguably the best DJ software on the market, Traktor Pro 2. We look forward to getting wicked on the S2 very soon. Until then, happy gigs!